The Americans were on the offensive in Tunisia! Lt Powers' platoon was held back to exploit success once the main line was cracked. Old Georgie Patton had learned a lot of the German way of war. ( In Platoon Forward I rolled up a Breathrough scenario!) His men had haftracks and armor to race 2 miles and capture a supply cache/HQ. Powers naturally knew he was up for the challenge. He hoped he could capture a German Colonel!
Lt Powers Gr I leader Cocky/technology Son of a Senator
Sgt Kline Gr 0 Bumbling/pleasure (just joined the platoon due to Sgt Bustamanti's demise.) BAR broke last battle and has not been replaced yet.
Sgt Nolan Gr I optomisitc/position (mechanic before the war)
Sgt Sawyer Gr 0 Pleasant/ knowledge
1 Stuart, 1 Lee, 1 halftrack with 75mm.
All US forces are considered green. (This makes a big difference in the game as it functionally gives you a column shift when firering.
Note the three pebbles in front of the building. Those are those morale chits I talked about. As a Gr I leader Sgt Nolan will remove one automatically and then have to take 2 morale checks. Meanwhile Sgt Sawyer attempts to move up. He received several pebbles from a German MG and his squad retreated.
Great game that played fast solitaire. The platoon is inspired by Lt Powers so he gets a brilliant commander card. This of course will make his head swell even bigger. He does put Sgt Nolan in for a Bronze Star but it is denied by Capt Shaffer to show Powers who is in charge of the Company. ( Maybe a skype session with dad?)
For those of you that want to try the scenario the Germans started out with 1 PSW 222, 1 squad with ATR and Gr III leader. (The captain). Two trucks of supplies that will start to roll on turn three.
Reinforcements were a Stug and two squads with one Gr I and a Gr 0 leader. They also get a Gr I LT. I generated a random reinforcement ( Platoon Forward is never dull!) of a Pz III on turn 6.
I highly recommend Combat Patrol. It really is fast and fun. As you know I have never met a set of rules I haven't changed (except for Post Captain) so here are my house rules for now:
1. At the end of the turn all morale chits are resolved. ( Had several instances where we wanted to charge but had to wait around to see how their morale was going to go.)
2.German LMG always has 3 shots if fully crewed. ( Only has two at short range.)
3.Half the scale for 15mm.
4. The Garand doesn't get two shots. Make it one and they can re draw misses.
5. Gr I leaders add 1 to their sequence roll.
6. Gr II leaders add 1 to their sequence roll and shift fire one to the left.
7. Gr III leaders add 2 to their sequence roll and shift fire one to the left
8. A unit without a leader of some type has an automatic sequence roll of "1".
9. Due to #5-8 we need to change the sequence deck. It now has one "1" card ( instead of two), Two cards for numbers 2-5 ( no change) and three cards for number 6 ( one added). So now better leaders have a better chance to activate more often.
It is a tribute to Buck's game that it can take these changes and still play smooth. Thanks Buck for a great game system. Happy to playtest anything else you have that is similar.