Before I get to today's story I would like to make a comment about the boards I am using for Boom and Zoom. I use 1/285 scale planes and about 7 inch squares are perfect. A 9 square board normally gives me plenty of room. When walking the dog by the high school they were throwing out several wooden bookcases with shelves.
Not above dumpster diving I grabbed 6 shelves.
With some clear tape and some spray paint...
I now have woodland, desert anda sea board! I will swap out some of the pictures in the rules as these boards look better than pipe cleaners.
Back to to today's story...
Continuing the Black Sea theme I pulled out one of my two Romanian squadrons. This is my ME 109G2 squadron. It has had a mixed history over its 10 mission. Their commanding officer was sacked after 4 missions and a promising LT took over [ Lt Florescu] and has done well. As a matter of fact Florescu now has 4 kills and SLt Marulis just made ace! The reputation of the squadron is high. Today's mission is a fighter sweep over the Black Sea. Florescu decides to lead as he would very much like to make ace. The pilots are:
Capt Florescu Vet 4 kills
Wingman Adj Stag Enciou Green
Adj Stag Manolui Avg [aggressive]
Wingman Adj Moraru Avg
Rolling up "fighter sweep" with Squadron Forward we get 6 A-20s escorted by 5 LA-5Fs. Given we are over the Black Sea the A-20s are carrying torpedoes and are low [5K ft.] Florescu spots the Russians first. He isn't sure which version of LA-5 they are facing but the ME-109 has slightly better performance. In addition, it has better maneuverability than all of them up high and better than the LA-5 low. "Let's hope these are LA-5!"Using the advanced scenario from Boom and Zoom with pilot skills we find that Florescu is able to surprise the Russians!
He sends Manolui after the bombers while he will try to tie up the top cover.He uses the ME 109s superior performance to make a slashing attack but fails to land a telling blow! Manolui has similar luck with the bombers, scoring no hits.
"This Ivan is good" thinks Florescu and the LA-5F quickly latches on to his tail. "Encioiu! Get him off me!"Meanwhile 2 LA-5Fs climb to meet Manolui.
As expected, the Russian wingman can't keep formation with the Vic and separates. Unfortunately, Enciou also can't keep up with the dogfight and loses Capt Florescu. This is bad. Fortunately, Florescu manages to shake the Russian during his turn. However...the Russian is right back at it but now is "only" on his wing! "This guy must be an ace flying that new LA-5FN we have heard about" thinks Florescu. [ Actually a veteran pilot flying a LA -5F] Florescu uses the ME 109s performance to accelerate and escape!Another pilot quickly shoots down Enciou. There is a parachute sighted.
Once again the other pair of Romanian fighter perform a Boom and Zoom attack against the Russian bombers to little effect. Then I get a neat random event from Squadron Forward. A kette of ME-110s returning from a mission stop by to have some fun. Right now we really need the help!
The ME-110s [Ds if you really want to know.] attack the lead Russian bombers and damage two.
A LA-5F easily outmaneuvers a ME 110D and shoots it down!Situation after turn 3. ME-110s lower left corner. Manolui in a climbing dogfight, bottom. [ This is important because around 15K ft the ME 109G is more maneuverable than the LA-5F.] Two Russian bombers aborting and heading home center left. Florescu center left and one Russian fighter left behind upper right.
Another view showing the battle vertically. It is important to remember that air combat also takes place in the vertical.Capt Florescu gets first iniative for the turn. The best answer is to go and attack bombers that are heading towards their targets or take on that fighter in the picture. But.... he could also dive on the damaged bomber and hopefully get his 5th kill. What would you do Captain??!?
Of course you will go for the bomber. 5 kills is 5 kills. Lt Marulis [ the squadron's new ace] isn't fooling anyone with the humble routine. You are the squadron commander! You should be an ace too!
What!?!?! I want to re roll my performance dice. To do a Boom and Zoom I need at least two "1s" and a "4". I also can't use the replacement rule where I swap out 3 dice for one I want to do a boom and zoom. Rats! I guess I was'nt lined up. Who wrote these rules!?!Okay, okay...I can still do this by just diving down and staying there.
I will dive down getting to re roll one of my dice because of my increased energy. Good I got a 4 that I need to shoot. Now I will use both my "2s" to maneuver against the bomber and convert my "6" to a "2" to get on it's tail!
This will work!
And it does. Florescu gets his 5th kill and the low flying bomber crashes into the sea.
However...
The Russian fighter dives from above in what the Russians call a "falcon's blow".No chute is seen.
[ A moment of silence for Romania's newest and most short lived ace please.]
























No comments:
Post a Comment