Welcome to Platoon Forward!

Welcome to the site where the story of the battle is as important as the battle itself. Here we will focus on men thrust into extraordinary situations of life and death. They must lead other men with duty and honor to meet their countries objectives. Some will be blessed with great skill, some will carry great shortcomings. No matter what nation, no matter what war, no matter what theater, they are all called to move their Platoon or Squadron forward!

These are their individual stories as played out using my various campaign rules . Hopefully these stories will entertain and inspire you to use your own troops, airmen and sailors to accomplish your own great heroics.

Friday, May 25, 2018

Fulda gap 1986 Vehicle heavy FOF

This is memorial day weekend in the US.  Please remember our veterans and their families as well as those actively serving.
So I have been exploring FoF solitaire lately.  I like the fast pace put still think the sweat spot is 2 squads plus some vehicles.  What would happen if I went vehicle heavy?  Would it slow down?  The vehicle resolution is faster than infantry.    So how about a Soviet attack into Northern Germany?  I thought how about a Soviet tank platoon and infantry platoon attacking a West German platoon plus a Leopard?  Well I found out I have been tardy on my building and painting!  I only have 2 T-72s.  I have 3 BMPs but only enough soldiers for 2 squads.  I only have 1 Marder painted up!  How embarrassing.  So change of plans; Soviet forces pushing through the Fulda gap with the Soviets filled out by a couple of proxies.
I rolled up the board using Platoon Forward otherwise this was straight out of my head.

Soviets enter from the left.  They have one BDRM I found painted up as well as I airstrike.  US has 2 mech infantry squads plus 1 Abrams.

BDRM spots the Abrams down the road ( each hex 40 yards) and executes a hard right behind the sign. 

T-72s move up; a squad of infantry deploys into the woods across the street to clear any dragon teams and we pray for Soviet aviation!

Soviet aviation comes through!   Vodka after this mission Boris! 


With the threat removed the T-72s start to move only to run into TOW slinging Bradleys.  I really like the Platoon rules the Soviets have to operate under.  Restrictive and overkill.

With no smoke and time a wasting a good ol fashion charge is in order! ( The tank in the middle is a T-72 even though it looks like a PT-76.  That was a disguise that didn't fool anyone! 

The BMPs both make it to the left side of the board as their 30mm cannons managed to suppress dragon gunners. 

As the Soviet infantry prepares to take the stone cottage the T-72 destroys both Bradleys!  ( Somewhat embarrassing) 

With half the fireteam wounded the US pulls back from the house to the hill.  It is not looking good.

With the house secure, the Russian LT prepares to assault the hill. 
At this point the US officer, with all vehicles destroyed, and outnumbered in infantry two to one withdraws.

Russian T-72 ( QRF) showing off!

Great game that did not bog down at all.  Clearly vehicle heavy FoF plays well solitaire.   If I play this battle again I will give the US a Cobra helo around turn 4.  Of course then I have to paint up my russian Shika!

Enjoy


Joe









 





2 comments:

  1. Interesting report Joe.
    Still looking for the prefect rule sect for 40+ figures and half a dozen vehicles.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Per side or total? If that is total I think FoF fits the bill. That said I have made several mods: I have leader ratings affect reaction rolls and I use Combat Patrol's cards to resolve the infantry combat as it is faster and allows individual "stuns" that last only for that turn.
    Per side it would work but agree it would start to bog down.
    Joe

    ReplyDelete