Welcome to Platoon Forward!

Welcome to the site where the story of the battle is as important as the battle itself. Here we will focus on men thrust into extraordinary situations of life and death. They must lead other men with duty and honor to meet their countries objectives. Some will be blessed with great skill, some will carry great shortcomings. No matter what nation, no matter what war, no matter what theater, they are all called to move their Platoon or Squadron forward!

These are their individual stories as played out using my various campaign rules . Hopefully these stories will entertain and inspire you to use your own troops, airmen and sailors to accomplish your own great heroics.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Review of WG Marder and Soviet stuff

If you read my last update you know I realized I had a dearth of modern Soviet equipment and had only 1 Marder for my West German PanzerGrenadiers. So I have been busy and thought I would share my thoughts on the products.  These are my personal views and your mileage may vary.

First up I bought some 1970s Khurasian Soviet infantry off TMP for a pretty good price.  I really like their ancients stuff so had high expectations for these.  To be honest I was a little disappointed.  They aren't bad, I was just expecting really great stuff.  They are thin like QRF but they are tall so if I put them on pennies I think they still won't blend in.  ( QRF blend in okay if mounted on pennies to Battlefront figures.)  Their faces are better than QRF and the uniforms have better detail as well.  There is a nice mix of poses and equipment including sniper rifles and actual general purpose MGs in the prone position which I like.  I will certainly use some of these but will probably save most of them for either Warsaw Pact or African armies where I won't mix them with Battlefront.

2 Soviet NCOs  Khurasian on the left and Battlefront on the Right.  The BF guy looks like a real porker!

Another view of Khurasian Soviets

Next up Old Glory BDRM scout car.    I like Old Glory stuff.  It is easy to build and looks good.  My main gripe is you have to buy 3.  If you need three it works out great.

No directions but I think I can handle this one!

I really like that the wheels are casted on the body.  I find this is the weak point for most models and I have trouble making the wheels straight.  Thank you!

Okay, so I needed to enlarge the opening a bit.  For those of you that are surgeons and  work in the Operating Room I used a straight Metz.

Finished product!


  Next up QRFs T-80.  I like QRF's stuff.  It is basic, inexpensive and you can buy models individually.  A boon to the skirmish gamer.
All the stuff.   No directions as usual but pretty straightforward to assemble.  I sometimes have trouble with QRF's tracks as I find it hard to keep them perpendicular to the body but there is a reasonable groove in this model so it is pretty easy.

I did need to hollow out the female end of the turret where the gun barrel attached ( Surgeons use an 11 blade but don't break off the tip!  If you do though it will be easy to find and you won't need an x-ray.) but once glued and set aside it did fine.

Finished model; nice!   One extra note- most QRF models don't come with MGs; this one did.

Next is the QRF Shilka. 


 Lots of pieces for this one.  Directions would have been helpful.  There are also 2 chairs that I still don't know what to do with.  Those go in the bits box!

Somehow that is suppose to become the main gun battery.    After looking at the real thing I think I figured it out.
Final model looks really good.  Used a soviet airplane decal from I-94.

This side is the " I have been in Afghanistan a while and could use some loving" side.

I rarely use modeling paints for my models as they are expensive.  For these I used





Here is the trio on the way to Hamburg!

Last up is the QRF Marder  This one I struggled with.
First the gun is (realistically) extremely thin. On one of my two models it came very bent.

After straightening.   I knew it would break but couldn't live with it like that.

Yep it broke!    Fortunately I was able to glue it back on.    Also the side skirts didn't fit on the model well at all. Finally the gun has a male end that is suppose to fit into the turret female end.
This is the female end.  I had to reconstruct it using a drill and for you surgeons Iris scissors.   After all that work the model came together.  The tracks were hard to get straight and the skirts still don't fit right.  Old Glory and Khurasian don't make a Marder.  Battlefront does but you have to buy a set of 4 or 5 I think.  If you need a couple and you don't like to be an expert modeler I would consider buying the Battlefront ones.  You will also get german decals.  I bought WW I german decals from I-94.

The finals models did come out looking nice.  Infantry are Battlefront.

More pictures.  I must have got air under the decal.

Last picture.

Hope you enjoyed my reviews.  I will be happy to answer any questions.    Hopefully this weekend my Germans will face off against some Russian armor!

Joe



  















 





3 comments:

  1. Looking good Joe, and despite the Khurasan troops being a bit on the tall side, I think they look pretty good and the difference probably isn’t that noticeable on the table.

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack
    Great to hear from you again! I hope you are right. Will find out this weekend.
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, did you play? Let’s keep the plot moving, Sir. ;)

      I played two games this weekend, but I don’t think I can get them posted this week. That’s the problem with ‘blended’ campaigns, I.e., air, land, and sea: you can play, the sea and ground games, but ya have to play the air as well. I need to play another dogfight to make my campaign work chronologically.

      I believe you will really enjoy these two ground games, I’ll try to hurry.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete