Welcome to Platoon Forward!

Welcome to the site where the story of the battle is as important as the battle itself. Here we will focus on men thrust into extraordinary situations of life and death. They must lead other men with duty and honor to meet their countries objectives. Some will be blessed with great skill, some will carry great shortcomings. No matter what nation, no matter what war, no matter what theater, they are all called to move their Platoon or Squadron forward!

These are their individual stories as played out using my various campaign rules . Hopefully these stories will entertain and inspire you to use your own troops, airmen and sailors to accomplish your own great heroics.

Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Cold War Tanker an AAR

 Have played a couple of SAGA battles lately but they don't don't seem to make good AARs.  This last weekend I had a yen to put models on the table and move them around in a challenging game that would play quick--- What a Tanker by TFLs fit the bill nicely but I wanted to get some of my modern buildings on the table so pulled out my variant, Cold War Tanker!  

I wrote Cold War Tanker several years ago and frankly don't play as much as I use to.   That said, I think CWT is a nice addition to the tanker game and does give the feel of playing in the cold war particularly if you use the platoon rules for the Warsaw pact.  I am flattered that it still sells despite absolutely no advertising at all other than word of mouth.  Thank you to all who have bought it and my other products.  I donated $700 dollars to my local food bank last year.  

The Battle.   US defends a small town.  Vanilla Abrams, M901 and infantry AT team vrs attacking Soviets PT 76, 3 T-72s[platoon] and a Storm ATG.

I bought this 18 months ago at a black friday sale when my dad was alive and never got around to opening it.  Finally did and pimped it out.  Hope you like it Dad!


ATG team finds a nice spot.


901


Only an Abrams would set up in a Gas station! ( this counts as concealment)


Russians enter with PT 76 in the lead.  M901 fires a missile that misses!  The ATG team fails to acquire a T-72. 



The Russian light tank moves towards the M 901 while the tanks attempt to form echelon and look for targets.  

Good shot of the Russkies!


ATG team acquires and aims/fires at the lead russian tank...

one platoon leader KIA!

Meanwhile the PT 76 gets initiative over the M901 and the 901 pays the price.  

Losing their platoon leader causes the russian tankers to loose 2 dice during their next turn and they have -2 to their initative so the Abrams comes up and fires... but misses.


Our ATG team fires...




and does not!




Situation mid game.   Abrams moves back to the gas station.  Russion ATG moves into woods looking for the US ATG team. PT- 76 moves looking to get to rear of Abrams or to take out ATG team.  Russian tank hoping to move at some point.


Russinas finally spot the americans behind the wall.  You don't have to roll to hit a squad but you do to hit just a team...



Small target, behind a wall with a missile  is very challenging.  This will take a while...


Russian tank on the move.  Who says imperial advertising is all bad? 



First shot kill on an Abrams!   A bit lucky with the dice.  I used the first version of the Abrams to give the russians a chance but I didn't expect this; nuts.  



Now everyone closes in on our poor ATG team.   They have to take at least one out to have a chance.


First shot from the T-72 results in even number of hits to saves causing the team to pull back.  Thus they lose their aim on the Storm.   Better part of valor at this point is to leave.     Game to the Russians.

 Fun game that took less than an hour.  I really should play this more often.  I had time for a second game; german against german.   Also very fun.  No report just a couple of pictures.


 Germans entering cautiously.



 Cool picture showing my McDonalds but no horizon...


Looks better, no?



Why do you think I am fixated with the McDonalds?



German infantry about to take out a Luchs. (warning infantry in the open are vulnerable.)


Enjoy!


Joe

 








5 comments:

  1. A cool little game..looks like a lot of fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,
    It really was. What a tanker is a fun quick game that gets your toys on the table.
    Thanks
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would highly recommend Mr Pedro loan services to any person in need of financial help and they will keep you on top of high directories for any further needs. Once again I commend yourself and your staff for extraordinary service and customer service, as this is a great asset to your company and a pleasant experience to borrowers such as myself. Wishing you all the best for the future.Mr, Pedro is the best way to get an easy loan,here is their email.. pedroloanss@gmail.com Thank You for helping me with loan once again in my sincerely heart I'm forever grateful.
    You can contact Mr Pedro Jerome for the following financial help such as Home Loan, Car Loan, Business Loan, Personal Loan, Merchant Loan, SBA Loan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where do I get your Cold War Tanker rules?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are available at Wargame Vault. Proceeds go to my local food bank. Any questions ask on this blog, TMP or I try to check the TFL forum every month.

    ReplyDelete