Welcome to Platoon Forward!

Welcome to the site where the story of the battle is as important as the battle itself. Here we will focus on men thrust into extraordinary situations of life and death. They must lead other men with duty and honor to meet their countries objectives. Some will be blessed with great skill, some will carry great shortcomings. No matter what nation, no matter what war, no matter what theater, they are all called to move their Platoon or Squadron forward!

These are their individual stories as played out using my various campaign rules . Hopefully these stories will entertain and inspire you to use your own troops, airmen and sailors to accomplish your own great heroics.

Thursday, January 20, 2022

Jan 2022 updates

 Since I have some pictures thought I would post an update of my recent activities.  I don't know if this type of post will appeal to folks; guess we will find out.   I have 4 items today.    

First is the easiest.

Finished up some painting!    I finished up 2 F-16s for my air to air games and then 6 cactus for Dead Man's Hand.  I thought the Cacti particularly turned out well.  

Second, I developed an interest in Formula 1 racing when I lived in Europe.  I am trying to develop a Platoon Forward type campaign game where you run a racing team for several years.   It is an on again off again project but can be found here:  https://championshipforward.blogspot.com/2022/01/european-grand-prix.html

Third,  Managed to convince my wife and daughter to play Dead Man's hand for my birthday!



 My daughter didn't mind it and actually carried the girl's team to victory.  The top shows the mixed outlaw/banditos closing in on the lawmen in the church.  

Third prime,   Played both Dead Man's hand and Force on Force with my brother.



He does actually open his eyes.   Had 2 armored squads and a light tank square off at a crossroads.  He plays very agressive and crushed me with assaults and my bad shooting.  Unfortunately, he is a dye in the wool boardgamer but it was still fun to play like we used to.  we had a good visit.  

Fourth, I have had an itch to play land combat at a higher scale than Force on Force over the last 8 months.  It is hard to do a lot with cold war Russian steam rollers at 1:1 actual 15mm scale on my boards.  When "O" group came out I was tempted but held off.  I got some money for Christmas and it has been burning a hole in my pocket.  I went on TMP to get some opinions.  Interestingly I got a number of suggestions for the older rulesets.  I went digging around for Piquet which I bought over 10 years ago and found a copy of Battlefront.   I went on to their website and found they have unit stats for modern era.  

So I have been playing around with Battlefront for the last week. I remember I liked it but didn't like the scale for WW II.  I wanted to be down with the squad.  

An american CO  circa 1968  I needed to make up stats for my Ontos.


A VC Main Force.  2 Platoons +
Test board
Each M113 is actually 3 and they can fit the whole platoon.  Saves on clutter but can be hard to imagine for a concrete thinker...
No, that bridge is not actually 80 yards wide.    I can get past not using 1:1 ground scale.  I know I can...
1st platoon deploys in front of the village.  2 Pattons are there for support.   Another platoon stands by in reserve.   This alone would be a large game in Force on Force. 
Meanwhile 3rd platoon is ambushed while crossing an incredibly wide bridge!  This would be another Force on Force game. 
The Company CO decides 1st platoon is stuck.  He sends in 2nd platoon.  VC are waiting in ambush.
A squad from 2nd platoon tries out the close assault rules.  The US squads have a +2 advantage over the VC.  This seems large to me if the VC have AK 47s but I am not that familar with the rules yet. 

 So have any of you played Battlefront? [Sgt Steiner I know you have I read your blog.] thoughts?    I like it but am thinking of doing activation like Force on Force. Right now If a unit defensive fires it will have a chance to fire again at the beginning of it's turn without their opponent doing anything.  that seems off unless I am playing it wrong.   

 

That my updates; stay safe!

 

Joe
 

 


2 comments:

  1. Always nice to see Joe, similar to you juggling several projects and very much trying to balance gaming time vs painting this year. Was thinking about Vietnam myself.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stuart, I hear you. Vietnam always fascinates me. You can do so much with it.
    Cheers

    Joe

    ReplyDelete